Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Domestic Violence Advocate to join the Women and Children's Ministries team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Domestic Violence Advocate works with women and their children in a Christian, therapeutic housing program. This individual will provide advocacy-based and Christ-centered case management, domestic violence education, referral and support services. Additionally, this individual will work with residents to connect them with a church congregation in order to build a healthy support network.
Our Women and Children's Ministries team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Monday - Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Essential Job Duties
- Process intake assessments and screening of residents.
- Manage caseload of individual residents.
- Educate residents, staff and volunteers about domestic violence.
- Support residents as they complete their program requirements and reaching their goals.
- Meet with residents weekly and maintain all electronic and paper client files.
- Help in maintaining the safety and cleanliness of the facility.
- Provide crisis intervention information and referral help.
- Train and support volunteers.
- Teach program classes and facilitate DV Support Group.
- Administer observed urine collections for guests.
- Perform welfare checks in guest residences and restrooms.
- Due to the sensitive nature of these essential job duties we are only able to consider females for this position.
- Work in close partnership with the rest of the Hope Place Team, developing program plans for residents.
- Work effectively with colleagues throughout the Mission's organization to achieve ministry objectives, maintaining good communication and working relationships.
- Maintain a positive, pleasant, professional Christian attitude. Be a model of Christian relationships for program residents.
- Attend and participate in all Mission, Division and Department meetings and trainings, as required.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License and be able to meet the standards of the Mission driver criteria required, including but not limited to:
- Clean driving record
- No current suspensions or revocations
- At least 21 years of age
- Agreement with the purpose of Mission programs and the grace-based team approach to ministry.
- Concerned, caring heart for needy families and a willingness to confront behavior consistently and respectfully.
- Ability to work in cooperation with the other Mission staff and partners.
- Strong love for the Lord and for people.
- Ability to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time; bend, stoop or reach.
- Regularly lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds.
- Talk on telephone and use computer extensively.
BA/BS in Social Service or other behavioral science preferred.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Case management and/or domestic violence advocacy experience preferred. Experience working in the domestic violence field preferred.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a Godly life.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ.
To serve, rescue and transform those in greatest need, through the grace of Jesus Christ.
- Sacred Relationships
- Passionate urgency
- Strategic effectiveness
- Courageous Belief
- Innovative and scrappy