Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for a Breakfast Cook to join the Food Services team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Breakfast Cook is responsible for oversight of the Missions kitchens/ pantry area. Work as part of a team to prepare nutritious meals and mentor the women, and children in a clean, Christ-like environment.
This includes maintenance of equipment, and supervision of Team Members who are assigned to the kitchen. This position also works closely with volunteers groups
Our Food Services team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Saturday through Wednesday from 5:00am - 1:30pm
Essential Job Duties:
- Be willing to work weekends.
- Be willing to work holidays as needed.
- Prepare and serve meals during the week as scheduled.
- Make sure the kitchen and food storage areas are clean and organized.
- Supervise all clients and volunteers working in the kitchen.
- Monitor safety of all clients and volunteers in and around the kitchen.
- Demonstrate good use of donated food items.
- Ensure proper quantity and quality of food served on his/her shift.
- Work as part of the team with other staff members.
- Able to mentor the women and children in the shelter.
- Confront inappropriate behavior from clients or staff respectfully and consistently.
- Participate in staff meetings as determined by the Food Services Manager.
- Complete donated food log for all food donations received at kitchen location.
- Work at other program locations at the request of the Food Services Manager.
- Ensure that all kitchen volunteers log in and out when working in the kitchen.
- Complete meal count log for shift worked
- Attend all SUGM mandatory training classes.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattles Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Missions Core Values.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity is required.
- Seattles Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission employees are expected to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Excellent food handling and preparation skills required.
- Ability to obtain a food handlers permit required.
- Ability to work in a team environment required.
- Ability to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time; bend, stoop or reach.
- Regularly lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
- Talk on telephone and use computer extensively.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Minimum of one year of prior food handling/service work required. Prior work in rescue mission context greatly preferred.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a Godly life.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ.
To serve, rescue and transform those in greatest need, through the grace of Jesus Christ.
- Sacred Relationships
- Passionate urgency
- Strategic effectiveness
- Courageous Belief
- Innovative and scrappy