Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission is currently looking for an Outreach Specialist - Mental Health to join the Outreach team in Seattle, WA.
Seattle's Union Gospel Mission is a private faith-based organization that helps the community to reach out with compassion to those who have lost hope. And as a community, we empower one another to build, lead and give back.
The Outreach Specialist - Mental Health supports the Outreach Ministries and efforts to end homelessness by providing street outreach efforts that addresses, poverty, addiction, employment, housing, mental health and spirituality, in addition to the creation and execution of the 2025 homeless plan efforts as assigned.
Our Outreach team is looking for its newest member and we think that could be you!
Essential Job Duties
- Administer all outreach services to those we serve in King County, leading them to life transformation in Christ.
- Provide outreach services to ensure the highest-quality services providing tools and support for a safer and honoring environment to include: Overnight shelter, clothing distribution, showers, mail and other outreach services as prescribed.
- Work closely with the Outreach Administrator to establish and implement goals for Outreach Ministries.
- Build relationships and partnerships with local mental health service providers to create partnership and resources for referral to homeless individuals the Outreach team minsters to.
- Have an understanding and working knowledge of resources directly related to mental health services, housing and employment in King County.
- Inform those we serve of the mental health services available to help them in their present situation. Ensure they have access to information on housing and other options to include MM Recovery Program information.
- Work with the Outreach team to develop plans to fix any operational issues that are encountered within the department. Initiate communication with the Director of Outreach on any operational or personnel issues that may negatively impact operations.
- Serve as an active training resource for volunteers participating in Street Outreach ministries to ensure the highest quality experience for all involved.
- Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels in the organization. All Mission staff are encouraged to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles in which volunteers might serve in the organization, and to interact positively and cooperatively with our volunteers.
- Ensure all staff, volunteers and interns are interacting with those we serve in a grace-based and relationally driven manner.
- Maintain accurate and timely records, and ensure the physical security and maintenance of assigned equipment.
- Prepare monthly statistical and narrative reports, as required.
- Maintain a positive, pleasant, professional Christian attitude. Work with other staff to forge and model transparent and supportive Christian relationships which will serve as a leadership example for recovery program men.
- Attend all Mission meetings and training sessions, as required.
- Work effectively with colleagues throughout the Mission's organization to achieve ministry objectives, maintaining good communication and working relationships
- Drive between various ministry locations as needed.
- Any other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The successful candidate will have an active church/prayer life and demonstrate a strong desire to serve the Mission by ministering to those whom it serves.
- Must agree with Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission Statement of Faith, Mission and Vision Statements and have a personal ethos and work ethic that reflects the Mission’s Core Values.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment drug and criminal background screenings.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment and decision-making in meeting objectives required.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple responsibilities at one time required.
- Ability to manage staff effectively required.
- A demonstrated heart of compassion for the poor and broken.
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License and be able to meet the standards of the Mission driver criteria required, including but not limited to:
- Clean driving record
- No current suspensions or revocations
- At least 21 years of age
Education: Associate’s degree preferred.
Experience: Prior experience in street outreach and rescue mission context highly preferred.
- Ability to stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time; bend, stoop or reach.
- Regularly lift and/or carry up to 25 pounds.
- Talk on telephone and use computer extensively.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a Godly life.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ.
To serve, rescue and transform those in greatest need, through the grace of Jesus Christ.
To forcefully impact poverty and brokenness, affecting such significant change that our communities point to God!
- Sacred Relationships
- Passionate urgency
- Strategic effectiveness
- Courageous Belief
- Innovative and scrappy